Viewing posts from January, 2017

Happy New Year! Hello 2017!

Happy New Year everyone! I don't know about you, but I am so relieved to say goodbye to 2016. It was such an unbelievable year! Everything after June (when I found out I was expecting) has been a blur!

Here's a recap of my crazy year..... 

January 2016 through May 2016 was fantastic! I felt great, the kids were doing great, hubby was doing great. We both looked thin and fantastic due to our miracle Keto diet, and so we took out our old boxes of clothes from our pre-baby days and tried everything on, and were so surprised to fit into everything!!!! We then stored all our old L and XL clothes into the buckets and sent them to the basement thinking we would never see them again.

Then on Father's Day we found out we were expecting! That was a REALLY big and wonderful surprise!!! We knew we always wanted a third child, but the timing of this completely caught us off guard. We were overjoyed and super excited about this miracle baby, who was determined to make its way into the world! 

Shortly after finding out, I was struck down with intense bouts of morning sickness that lasted a good 4 months. The entire summer of 2016 was a complete blur. I cannot even explain to you how bad it was. It was like going through 4 months of feeling like you have food poisoning, or having the worst hangover of your life. Multiple times a week I would have to pull the car over and vomit on the side of the road. It was super embarrasing. We had a live in nanny for about a month to help out, but that was short lived. To say my pregnancies are difficult is putting it very lightly. 

Also during late summer we moved house. That was right when Caspian started school, and right when I caught a bug that left me with a cough that lasted two months and I was constantly gagging and vomiting during our entire move. I was utterly miserable. 

Then around October and November 2016, something crazy happened to me! My pharmacy gave me the wrong pills in the correct prescription bottle. The wrong pills were mixed in with some of the correct pills, and they all looked the same, so I took them for the entire month until I had a few left and realized I was taking something that I wasn't supposed to. Then I discovered that the pills I was taking should not be taken by pregnant women as they CAUSE BIRTH DEFECTS. I immediately went to the doctors who informed me that due to that mistake my thyroid levels were dangerously off. Thanks a lot pharmacy! 

Because of that whole pill fiasco, during the months of November and December 2016, I had to constantly go see different doctors, write letters to multiple healthcare professionals, be tested a million times and it seemed like every few days I had a medical appointment. 

And while all this was happening, everyone was fliiping their $h!t about the presidential elections and all these celebrities dying. Because I was going through something so traumatic and irritating, I couldn't empathize with anyone who was badly effcted by the outcome of the elections and the dying celebrities. I really couldn't understand why people were making out to be the end of the world. To cry because your favorite singer died or because your favorite candidate didn't win seemed absurd to me. Is it insensitive of me to want to yell out to the world: "GET OVER IT?" Ok, maybe that's a tad bit insensitive. I will attempt to exercise more empathy. 

On a more positive note, Caspian started school in September 2016 and has really taken to it. He's in Valentino's class, and big brother looks after him :) The kids have been doing so great. Valentino has turned 3 and Caspian has turned 2 in December. They play so well together and I couldn't have asked for better kids. They eat well, sleep well, and are just overall well adjusted happy kids. Hubby takes them to school in the mornings so that I can sleep in, as the pelvic and sciatic pains keep me up all night. 

There have also been a few other things that happened this year that I am not at liberty to discuss yet, and that have impacted our lives, in the not-so-greatest of ways. We are still dealing with those things and maybe one day I'll divulge, but for now I just can't. 

We ended 2016 with the whole family being sick and a trip to the emergency room for me. I wasn't able to breathe through my nose at all for four days and then on the fifth day I couldn't even breathe from my mouth as it would cause me to gag and vomit. At nights I wouldn't be able to sleep, and would sit in a hot shower multiple times in the middle of the night so that I could breathe (I didn't sleep for 5 nights in a row!). Then when I did manage to sleep for a few minutes I would wake up suddenly gasping for air due to choking on heartburn. Oh the joys of pregnancy! 

So here's to 2017. You better have something REALLY good in store for me. I'll just be here, waiting patiently :-) 

Our Potty Training Process

Exactly one month ago we started potty training Valentino. He had just turned three and has made so much progress in all developmental areas that we thought he was definitely ready to take the plunge. 

The night before we started, hubby went out and bought potty training necessities that included:

  • A board book about going potty
  • TONS of toddler underwear
  • A cheap rug (to catch any accidents)
  • Toddler toilet seat covers
  • Multiple bed sheets
  • Multiple blankets

We already had a toilet training potty so we felt prepared and excited for how he will take to it. We had both thought that he would just be one walking accident, and that he would pee and poo all over the floor everywhere all day every day. We were a bit terrified, as our house is mostly carpet, so we removed Valentino's pricey pottery barn rug that was in his room and replaced it with a cheap hideous looking rug from Walmart that was only $22. Who knew you could buy a rug for $22?? 

During the first day of potty training, we took off his diaper and threw it away in front of him and said "Bye bye" to it. He waved at it and said bye bye. My heart melts. 

Then we had him run around naked from waist down in his room, gave him a sippy cup of milk, and then we both sat and watched him drink his milk and run around his room for what seemed like hours. We put his potty on the Walmart rug and as soon as I saw him do a little tinkle, I RAN and quickly put him on the potty. He continued to pee, and I showed him how to point his wee wee down into the potty so his peepee doesn't spray everywhere. He completely took to it and thought it was the coolest thing! 

After he was done we all did a happy dance around the potty, and kept pointing to the pee saying YAAAAAY and clapping and jumping up and down. Then we had him clean up his little tinkle that he did on the carpet. 

That first day I watched him like a hawk, and I nearly spent the entire day in his room doing this. Hubby took charge of taking care of Caspian while me and Valentino worked on potty training. We sat on the potty and read lots of books and also watched Peppa Pig on the ipad. We spent time working on counting and on colors. He really enjoyed all this one on one time. 

potty training 3 year old boy toddler

potty training three year old toddler boy

toddler working on learning colors techniques

Whenever Valentino has a successful go on the adult toilet, he gets really excited about his accomplishment and immediately after washing his hands he goes and gives Caspian a big hug. Not me or daddy, just Caspian. He's so funny. 

So Valentino has completely taken to helping clean up his accidents. It's the cutest thing. I love how OCD he is about cleanliness, if there is a drop of pee anywhere he gets really upset about it until it's all cleaned up. If he has an accident in his pants he also freaks out about that too. He knows his routine of washing his hands right after he goes potty.

On his second day of potty training I was having a lot of pregnancy issues, and I projectile vomited water all over the rug that Valentino was practicing his potty on. He politely came and helped me clean up all of mommy's vomit. He is my heart <3

After the first week of potty training, we were averaging about 1 to 2 accidents per day. Some days he would get by with no accidents, and then I would get excited and think he has completely got it, and then other days he would have 2 accidents and I would be crushed and defeated.

Now after a month has passed, he will only have an accident if they potty isn't nearby. He has completely got it and rarely has accidents now, and he's done so well in school that they have moved him up from the toddler class to the primary class. He's such a big boy now and I am so proud of him!!!

The only issue I'm having now is to get him to go potty when he is excited. He will only have accidents when he's having a great time playing with Caspian and is too excited to stop playing and go potty. I also haven't dared to take him out and about for fear of not having the potty close by. On average he goes potty 7 to 8 times per day; so you can imagine how much time I have to spend cleaning potty and constantly being on the lookout for him pottying. We put so much time and effort into this that it literally has been a month since we have gone anywhere (except to their school of course). With the new baby coming soon I think we won't be going anywhere until Spring! I really miss our family date nights with the boys dressed in their best suits. I think those nights won't happen now for a while :(  My life right now revolves around the potty, AND preparing for baby #3!